I was born and raised in West Yorkshire and I love our communities. That’s why I’m so ambitious for our future, and believe we can achieve so much in the years to come. So it is with enormous pride that I am running to be your first Mayor.
I want to put all my experience – of life, work and getting things done as a Member of Parliament in the region – at your service to deliver a great future for all of us.
These pledges set out what I want to do on some of the issues that matter. They include better transport, revitalising towns, tackling the housing crisis, growing our green economy and making sure that the progress we make is fair and inclusive.
The new Mayor will also be responsible for policing in West Yorkshire. My approach will be to build on earlier successes, putting the victim first, and tackling the underlying causes of crime. I will also ensure that we support police officers to do their job.
This last year has been so hard for so many. While our fingers are crossed that we are on the final road out of the worst of the pandemic, we know its true impact will not be fully understood for some time.
And the challenges are great. COVID-19 comes after a decade of Tory austerity, and a much longer period of under-investment in the North during which West Yorkshire and its people have been constantly undervalued and underestimated.
The opportunities that devolution brings are important because for far too long too many decisions that affect our lives have been made by people behind desks in Central London. Many will never have been here and can’t understand our needs.
My pledges are rooted in the region and have been made with you in mind. I know that I can use the opportunities the West Yorkshire Mayor will have to make our communities the best to grow up in, and the best to grow old in.
Working with the excellent leaders of Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield councils, I know West Yorkshire can come out of this crisis better and stronger than before.
My plans are bold and ambitious, and as I travel round West Yorkshire, I am so excited by what our future will bring if we can seize the opportunities before us. I want the best jobs, skills, opportunities and life chances for the communities I grew up in and the people I grew up with. If you elect me, I’ll work tirelessly on your behalf. And I won’t shy away from speaking truth to power if necessary.
It would be my honour to be elected your Mayor on May 6th. Please support me so that we can take this journey together.
Labour Candidate for West Yorkshire Mayor
My 10 Pledges to you:
If elected I will:
- Create 1,000 well paid, skilled jobs for young people.
- Prioritise skills and training to ensure everyone in West Yorkshire has the skills they need to secure work.
- Support local businesses and be champion for our regional economy.
- Lead a Creative New Deal to ensure our creative industries are part of the broader recovery strategy.
- Appoint an Inclusivity Champion to work to ensure that the region’s recovery benefits us all.
- Recruit 750 more frontline police officers and staff to fight crime.
- Put keeping women and girls safe at the heart of my policing plan.
- Bring buses back under public control, introduce simpler fares, contactless ticketing and greener buses.
- Build 5000 sustainable homes including council houses and affordable homes
- Tackle the climate emergency and protect our environment.